VOLUNTEER AS A DOCENT
The Savannah African Art Museum is looking for volunteer docents who are passionate, positive, and motivated to lead tours for diverse groups - from elementary school children to senior citizens. This is a wonderful opportunity to get involved with your community, expand your network, and make an impact while learning and sharing the history and art of West and Central Africa.
What can I get from volunteering at the Museum?
• Public Speaking Experience
• An opportunity to interact with people from all around the world.
• Volunteer/community service hours
• Recommendation letters
• Behind-the-scenes museum experience
• Internship opportunities
Docents will be expected to give daily tours of the museum’s collection. Tours are given to visitors by walk-in and by appointment. The time commitment is flexible and may include weekdays for private events, and some evenings. No prior experience as a docent or knowledge of African Art and history is required. Additionally, docent talking points will be provided.
• Learning about the museum and its collection.
• Shadowing current docents on a few tours and talking with staff to get a better understanding of the process
• Docent talking points will be explained and reviewed. (Some light reading materials will be provided on some of the tour talking points)
• Acquiring skills in conducting tours
To apply or for more information, please email an updated resume to email@example.com, call us at 912.721.7724, or visit us at 201 E 37th St. Savannah, GA 31401