VOLUNTEER AT SAAM
Are you energetic, friendly, and love museums?
The Savannah African Art Museum is looking for volunteer docents with good communication skills to lead tours for diverse groups - from elementary school children to older adults. This is a wonderful opportunity for volunteers interested in learning and teaching about the history and art of West and Central Africa.
What can I get from volunteering at SAAM?
• Public Speaking Experience
• An opportunity to interact with people from all around the world.
• Volunteer/community service hours
• Recommendation letters
• Behind the scenes museum experience
• Internship opportunities
Our available shifts are:
Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, from 11:00 am–2:00pm and 2:00pm–5:00pm.
Docents will be expected to give daily tours of the museum’s collection. Tours are given to visitors by walk-in and by appointment.
The time commitment is flexible and may include weekdays for private events, and some evenings.
No prior experience as a docent or knowledge of African art and history is required.
Additionally, docent talking points will be provided.
• Learning about the museum and its collection.
• Shadowing current docents on a few tours and talking with staff to get a better understanding of the process
• Docent talking points will be explained and reviewed. (Some light reading materials will be provided on some of the tour talking points)
• Acquiring skills in conducting tours
To apply or for more information, please email an updated resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, call us at 912.721.7724, or visit us at 201 E 37th St. Savannah, GA 31401
APPLY Online Here
Apply by downloading a copy of the application and submitting it with your resume via email through the button below.